rss
email
twitter
facebook

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Some fun project ideas!





So, remember when I said I've been looking at Japanese magazines like crazy? Maybe I didn't mention that before, but I am. One of the things I've noticed is how a lot of the crafts from more "normal" magazines can easily be love and carried over to work well with lolita lifestyle and culture aesthetics. Because Japan knows cute. They know cute well. And they have indeed perfected it. That being said, they've also capture my heart, personally, with the elegance in some of the projects I've seen. If only I could read the instructions! D: However, I'm pretty happy with the pictures. One magazine in particular, a painting magazine called Paint Craft, has really stood out to me. Now, it's not just for regular painting. As you can see in the picture, the painting is done to add flair to normal and possibly boring objects. What's great about the projects featured is the fact that they can be done cheaply (however not easily, unless you're a painting pro!). The objects needed are simple ones, whose design is more function of fashion, and to adorn it with beautiful paintings...well, you've got yourself a functional, fashionable, and one-of-a-kind show off piece. It's really great, and it reminds me why I love making and customizing my own stuff so much. 

Now, for those who are wondering how they can make these into a more...loliable...sort, here's what I recommend:

  • Try and add lace, either literally or by painting it on there. Maybe even paint the lace with an interesting color, if you are indeed painting it. Try gold, silver, or other pearlescent colors to make the lace stand out. 
  • Here's a sorta obvious one-Bows! There are many ways to paint/draw bows, simple or otherwise. They can be any color or pattern, and they look super cute. 
  • Try thinking about what you're painting on. If it's, say, a watering can, flowers are ideal. However you can take this idea even further by painting the flowers or plants you'll be watering with that can. Make it truly yours!
  • Nothing beats a good label of who owns what. And if you're painting it, there's a pretty good chance you own it! Try painting your name on there and try to make it look good. Think about the font, color, and overall design of it, and maybe think about adding some small little painted flowers or hearts next to it. Think of motifs that describe you!
  • If you're not the best painter in the world, you might want to try this: Paint a design such as polka dots, stripes, or zigzags to add design without the need for painting talent. Great to do even if you are a good painter!

Well, that's all I can think of, and bedtime sadly approaches. Until next time, I hope these ideas are helpful, and you get inspired to do a whole new form of lolifying. Even if you're not much into lolita, these are still fun to do! 

I received the magazine scans here.

1 comments:

Lawrl said...

So cute! Thanks for uploading these. I'm quite a terrible artist so I don't think I could do any of these but it's nice to be able to look at the pictures XD